Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"But I don't want to be a pirate!"


This is Jess and me showing off the tattoos that Lexi sent for us. We loved them!


On Saturday, we went to the Air and Space Museum. It was really cool, but some of the coolest stuff was actually an exhibit of things that used to be in the Museum of American History. But, since they're renovating it, they were on display at the Air and Space Museum.


The puffy shirt from Seinfeld!

I took this one for dad...it's a signed Babe Ruth baseball.


R2D2 and C3po

The core four...we always end up doing things together.

Jessica working the control tower, navigating some planes in

A cool pic from the changing of the guard at Arlington.


Well, school has been going well. It's been about the same as ever, good days mixed with bad days. My mentor teacher (the teacher whose class I took over) is psychotic and a little evil, so I can't wait to be in my own classroom. It's going to be SO much better, probably much easier. I have almost as many responsibilities now, but I feel constantly judged for doing things differently. I also have to fit her idea of how everything should be done, which I generally don't agree with. She has really negative expectations, which is one of my biggest critiques of teachers. She just says snide comments about how inadequate and unintelligent all of the students are. That's a teacher no-no in my book. I strongly believe that expectations become self-fulfilling prophesies. If you expect them to succeed, they're much more likely to succeed. Even though she's off her rocker, I'm still learning a lot and (most of the time) I love my students. The research paper is in full swing, though my mentor teacher keeps adding new things she thinks are vital to be taught that don't relate to the research paper, but she won't let me push back the deadline, so I'm having to cut out a lot of important things and rush through a lot of things. It's okay. It's okay. Learning experiences...learning experiences.

Funny anecdote of the day
In the middle of the lesson:
Terra: "Hey, Miss Meyerson. You got a husband...or kids...or brothers...or sisters or somethin?"
Me: "No, no husband or kids, but I do have three brothers. Why?"
Terra: "Oh. Just wondering...well, really...I just want to see someone else who looks like you."

haha Terra is the one who was amazed when I first got here that I had red curly hair. So, apparently she wanted to see other relatives of mine who might look like me too. I informed her that no on in my family really looked like me, everyone was blond or brunette. She found that highly interesting too. :) It made me laugh, though.

Yesterday, one of the boys in my class came up to me when I first got to school and gave me a big hug and told me that he had his project ready to be turned in. He is so cute. He always has to show me things that are due even before I come around to check them or collect them. Once he's started working on something, he just has to show it to me and see what I think. This is a stark contrast to my other students...in one class of 25, only 3 turned in their projects on time. haha not good odds!

2 comments:

Bonnie and Mike Meyerson said...

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall!

The Collett's said...

You're doing such good things with the kids. Too bad for the teacher, especially that she's so negative. I'm sure it translates into how she presents class materials. I never did well in classed with those type of teacher. I'm sure glad you're learning from her mistakes and attitude. I wish i had you for my English teacher. Last year Andrew had the best English teacher ever. She really took a genuine interest in each of the kids in her class. Andrew got a B in her class, the best grade he'd ever had in an English class and I truly believe it had so much to do with her interest in him and her desire for him to succeed. Andrew even said he liked the class and it really takes a lot for him to like a class other than band, welding, his car mechanics classes. You know "the fun classes." I miss you tons!!!
Love ya,
noni