Hey dum dum, you got some gum gum??
I'm being eaten by Rex! I thought about Lexi the whole time I was here! You guys need to take a trip out here!
Then, on Monday, we wanted to celebrate Presidents Day by going to Ford's Theater. When we got there, we realized that it was closed for renovations until next year. So, we went across the street and saw the house where they took Lincoln after her was shot. (This sounds a little morbid) Then, we went to the National Zoo! It's huge! And free! I thought about Ash at the zoo, because one of the girls kept talking about Madagascar and singing, "I like to move it, move it..."
Then, we ran into Samuel L. Jackson...JK, He's made of Wax. We passed by the wax museum and stoped for a photo with Sam. (We're too poor to go into the actual museum.)
Some of the girls on the National Mall on a beautiful day.
In reference to the title, sometimes I just have to remind myself. :)
Today was an "eh" day. Ironically, not because my students were horrible (though, definitely not great), but because my mentor-teacher is CRAZY! I really do feel like she half wants me to fail sometimes. Thankfully, another teacher warned me that she may be that way before I even met her, so I know that it's not personal. (Not a huge comfort, but hey, I'll take what I can get.) Anyway, she just keeps adding things that I need to do and making life more difficult. I really dislike her, but I still wouldn't trade this experience. I promise. I definitely love the career choice that I've made and I know that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. This is definitely harder than if I'd stayed in Utah, but that just means I'm learning even more and making myself a better teacher! Yahoo! Yahoo for school!
Funny anecdote:
I was working with a girl during lunch, because she'd missed a TON of classes (i.e. I've seen her twice since I've been here) because of the school play. While I was talking to her, she looked down at my arm and said, "Hey. Those are really nice freckles." haha it made me laugh so hard. Like I've said before, DC is mostly Black, so strange white redheads with freckles are a novelty out here.
Also, I made cookies for everyone for Valentines day (81 students+ 2 cookies for each one=TOO MANY COOKIES!) and they loved them! I was worried they'd all be too cool and complain about one thing or another, but they all appreciated them and were amazed that I knew how to bake. One girl asked me to make cookies for their coffee and poetry night coming up.
Okay, last story of the day...I got the stomach flu on Monday night, so I didn't go into school on Tuesday. The school is on a block schedule, so I only see the kids every other day. So, one of the girls from my class yesterday came in between classes today and said, "I thought about making you a get well card. But then I didn't. " Not super eloquent, but thoughtful, nonetheless. :)
I hope everyone is having a fantastic week and those of you back in Utah, I hope you're staying warm and snow-free!
4 comments:
Remember the plaque we used to have by the front door. It said something like, "Noone said it would be easy, just that it would be worth it!" Hang in there. You're going to make one heck of a teacher. Love ya tons.
My poor Jodi and the flu. I don't understand how you get the flu every year, sometimes more than once. Weak stomach I guess. :) Love your guts!
I am glad there is so much for you to do back there. I bet it will take you over a year to see and do everything. i am sorr that your teacher is not the nicest perosn. Just remember she is a child of God too (and you only have a few more weeks of working with her.)
Hey cute girl: You guys are having way too much fun! I'm so glad that it has been a learning experience even when there are a few not so good days! You will make an awesome English teacher:):):) I love that your cute freckles and red hair stand out!
Love u tons!!
Noni
Post a Comment