Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"We thank thee oh God for a prophet!"

I realize that blogs aren't exactly the most ideal of places to express serious sentiments, but I wanted to take a minute and just express my gratitude for the life of Gordon B. Hinckley, the President and Prophet of my church. Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's impossible to deny that he was an incredible human being. President George W. Bush said,"Gordon B. Hinckley [...] has inspired millions and has led efforts to improve humanitarian aid, disaster relief, and education funding across the globe." He is one of the most sincere, giving, selfless, loving, Christ-like, hilarious men I've ever known. He has inspired me throughout my life and will continue to do so. So, in loving memory, Gordon B. Hinckley.
This website has a great speech that he gave at BYU and pictures. Check it out!



In school news, I had my first formal observation by my supervisor out here, Becky. She has to do 6 observations called a CPAS throughout the semester and I had my first one day!

I think it went pretty well. The kids were a little rambunctious, but not too out of control. After the class, she left for a bit and when she was walking back a couple of my students stopped her and asked if she was a teacher. So, she told them she was the adviser for all of the student teachers around and they said something along the lines of "Oh i just love Miss Meyerson! She is so good." It made me feel so good!! And it's definitely never a bad thing for your supervisor to hear compliments from the students.

After she observed me she gave me a couple suggestions, but she said she really liked my lesson. I was introducing their research paper, so today we talked about the idea of "inquiry." I wanted them to understand that this is an opportunity for them to learn MORE not to just write about what they already know. So, I had them brainstorm what they knew about dust. (random, I know) Then we wrote everything we knew on the board. Then we read this book called "Stars Beneath Your Bed." It's about dust, which sounds really boring, but it's actually quite a good book. So, then we talked about the difference between common knowledge (what they already knew) and inquiry (asking questions to INCREASE knowledge.)

Anyway, she liked the lesson and I think the students really responded well to it. So, it's been a pretty good day! Plus, I'm sick of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch so I brought this really good salad for lunch and it made my day, because it was so good! Haha...you gotta appreciate the little things in life.

2 comments:

Bonnie and Mike Meyerson said...

Thanks for the Pres. Hinkley tribute. I must have had 20 kids come up to me on Monday and say, with sad faces, "Mrs. Meyerson, did you hear that President Hinkley died?" One little girl drew a really good picture of him. He had quite large ears but you could totally tell it was him. Love ya...

Amber said...

I also miss Pres. Hinckley a lot. He did so much good for not only for the church but the entire world. The world truly lost a great friend. Our local newspaper has had an artical about him 2 days in a row. That tells you how much everyone, regaurdless of your religion and beliefs, love and miss him. January sure hasn't been a good month for us, Grandma dying, Jenn, and now Pres. Hinckley. I hope the year gets better soon :))))!!!!!

Congrats on getting a great review. I love your lesson about inquire. It is nice to be made to think once in a while. Kepp up your great work. Love and miss you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.