I figured I'd write a new post BEFORE I got yelled at by my mom this time rather than after. :)
Not too much new to report. This weekend we went to the Holocaust Museum. It took about 4 hours to get through (not even reading or watching everything there is to read or watch), but it was really moving. It's so hard to see things like that, these horrible atrocities that went on, seeing people who believed in the most ridiculous things, like genetic inferiority, and then to think that not that long ago things like that were going on in our own country. Thankfully it never came to a holocaust, but there were striking similarities, like segregated schools, benches, areas of cities. It's sick to think about the effects of racism and prejudice. Being here and seeing some of the minimal resources, inferior schools, and low expectations gives me even more drive to be a great teacher, no matter where I am. This may sound preachy or sappy, but I really mean it. This country is in serious need of good teachers. It's sad how little value is placed on the quality of a teacher or even the quality of education. This job is definitely not the easiest profession--I feel like I'm either in the school or planning for school about 12 hours a day--and it's not the best paying...but at least I love what I'm doing and I'm so grateful for that! So, in conclusion, thank a teacher today. You don't realize what this job takes until you have to do it!

Also, in good news, it's awesome to feel like a real teacher! I love walking through the halls and all the kids yell at me, "HEY MISS MEYERSON!!!!" Everyone at this school loves fashion and they all dress crazy, because they're "artists." So, whenever I wear a cute outfit, I hear a million times a day, "oooh look at Miss Meyerson. That's a cuuuuute skirt, Miss Meyerson! Wow, that teacher actually has some fashion sense!" :) Keep in mind, my cute outfits are few and far between, because I quickly learned that comfortable clothes and flat shoes are worth a million dollars.
2 comments:
I think you're getting quite the education, in more than one way! I love ya.............
Glad your mom is keeping you posting, I love reading about what you are doing. Glad you got to go to the Holocaust Museum, it's so worth the time. Too bad our society has it all wrong, they give the big bucks to the athletes and movie stars and under pay those that contribute the most, those in the military, our police, and teachers. Always remember how many lives you'll touch and what a difference you'll make in so many of them.
Post a Comment