So, I just need to vent a little bit. My students are busy reading right now and I'm trying to remember how much I really do love teaching.
This morning before first period started, a student threw a pair of scissors (the kind you use in kindergarten with the rounded edges)at another student's face. The student who got hit FREAKED out, screaming at me about how angry he was. He wasn't hurt, but my first instinct would have been to send the scissor thrower to the office. However, Alex, the angry one, just screamed and screamed and thew the other kid into my whiteboard. I told him he either needed to calm down or go to the office to cool off. He got even more angry with me for sending him to the office rather than the scissor thrower. I tried to explain that i wasn't "kicking him out," I was sending him out to calm down, but he wouldn't hear it and stormed out, slamming my door. I walked over to the office with the other kid so that they could talk it out and Alex started screaming at me in the office about how angry he was at me for throwing him out---IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BUSY OFFICE WITH PARENTS AND MY PRINCIPAL. Eventually, the principal came out and said he wanted to bring the discussion into his office (aka away from parents) but I had to leave to go TEACH MY CLASS!!
So, I come back to class and I got the other students working on the activity for the day and I started to try to reason with my IEP (special ed) kid who has traumatic brain injury, so he has the maturity level of a 5 year old. He isn't a big fan of me or me making him do ANYTHING so when I told him I wanted to read with him, the following conversation took place:
Me: Michael, let's just go up there and read.
Michael: No, I want to watch my movie on my laptop. I hate reading. I hate you.
Me: Michael, watching Hancock is not why you come to school. I'm not asking you to do a lot, just read with me.
Michael: No. This class is stupid.
Me: Michael, you can't talk to me like that. It's really disrespectful. Do you see anyone else talking to me like that?
Michael: No, because they're not brave enough to.
Me: Okay, read with me or go to the office.
Cue Michael leaving for the office.
Ahhhh what a day! And it's only 9:52.
2 comments:
Uhhhhh, wow wow wow. You want me to take care of business. I wouldn't worry about the parents in the office being upset at you at all. They are probably thinking, "I could never teach teenagers."
Hang in there. It's only one bad day out of how many good-from a teaching prospective.
Hmm...does this guy happen to have a little brother who goes to school in Draper? This kid likes anything that's sharp. Scissors, pencils, unbent paperclips. Note that he won't use sharp pencils, he just collects them. Just this week, he threw a pair of scissors at someone. Cousins, maybe?
May you have 100 good days for every bad one!
Post a Comment