Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A whole new meaning to doors closing on your face

I have quite a few fun adventures to update you all on.

First of all, my commute everyday consists of an always glamorous ride on the bus and the subway. Well, a couple of days ago, I was riding the bus. I pulled the little cord when my stop was approaching and the bus driver stopped. I stood to get up, but apparently not quickly enough, because the back door started to close. I politely yelled, "backdoor, please!" and he opened it back up again, so I started to step out. I think he may have been angry with me for not getting to the door in time, because halfway through stepping out of the bus, he closed the door. Sadly, my face was not quite through, because the doors literally shut ON MY HEAD. I must have looked like a chipmunk or something with my cheeks squeezed together. I just had to force my way through and walk away with my head bowed in shame, hoping that no one had noticed my losing battle with the door...

Classes for the last two days have been terribly boring, because Ms. Law-Yone required me to have them read aloud a big packed that summarized The Odyssey. First of all-TERRIBLE TEACHING STRATEGY! She assigned the book over Winter Break, then never really talked about it after Winter Break and now they have to take a semester exam on it. So, even if they did read it, it was over 2 months ago and none of them even understood it! So, all during class we read out loud summaries of each chapter. I was fighting to stay awake. Naturally, the kids were too. The only enjoyment came from some of the strange pronunciations the kids used for the strange words and names in the book. First of all, one of the names is Sisyphus and the girl who was reading was struggling with how to pronounce it, so one of the other kids yelled out, "SIPHYLUS!" So the girl repeated, "Siphylus and kept reading. The funny thing is, no one acted like they recognized that Siphylus is not a character in The Odyssey, but a sexually transmitted disease. Then, another part talks about how Odysseus is clothed in "tatters," because he is disguised as a beggar. TWO kids from two different classes said "clothed in taters." It made me laugh so hard, because I just kept thinking of dad dancing around a church talent show singing Addicted to Spuds.

Last, but not least, I have to mention Jonathan...my little pervy hormone raging ADHD child. Today while we were reading the summaries, he started getting really antsy. My room is set up kind of strangely: half of the desks are on one side of the room and half are on the other and they are all facing the middle, so there's a little walkway down the middle. Well, Jonathan is in the very front desk on one side and he was being exceptionally obnoxious, so instead of yelling at him and taking away from the reading, I pulled his desk (with him in it) so it was facing the front of the room (away from all peers). He kept turning to talk to this one kid so I stood blocking his line of sight to that kid. A minute later, I looked over and he was staring RIGHT AT MY BUTT! Then, he kept taking money out and playing with it. I kept telling him to put it away, but finally I took a one dollar bill from him and told him I'd give it back after class. I looked down at the bill and on the side with the big ONE written on it, he'd added a B to the front and and R to the back of the word. hahah I gave it back to him and I think he was looking for a reaction out of me, so I just said sarcastically, "Wow, Jonathan. You are absolutely hilarious." Are you kidding me!!! Haha my life makes me laugh. The things that 9th graders find amusing.


Yesterday, I was done with classes early, so I went to the elementary school that some of the girls I live with teach at. Jess teaches 2nd grade and she had me meet with some of her kids to help them with writing. It was so funny! Surprisingly, they are at a similar maturity level as my kids and have a lot of the same tendencies, but they were so tiny! One of the girls was staring at my face and then said, "your eyebrows match your hair!" So, I told her, "So do yours!" And she ran around the room going, "Hey! His matches his hair too! And hers matches her hair! WOW!" Then one girl stared at my arms and said, "You have wrinkles on your arms!" Now, I'm not a teenager anymore, but I don't think I have wrinkles on my arms! So then the little girl continued, "White people get wrinkles on their arms when they go in the sun." So, it clicked for me ad I asked if she meant freckles, which she did. haha the kids were so cute. They kept touching my skin and hair, because it was so unique to them. I felt a little like a circus freak! :)

I'm super excited for this weekend, cause mom and dad are coming out!!! And hopefully we're going to go to New Jersey for part of the weekend. Also, I'm going to Utah for Spring Break and I'm going to get to watch Ash the whole time!!! SWEEEEEEET!

2 comments:

Bonnie and Mike Meyerson said...

I throughly enjoyed your blog with all of your described mishaps. Remember when I was talking about freckles to my first graders and I pointed out the freckles on my face and he said, "Or are those wrinkles?" Haha..kids are the same everywhere.

The Collett's said...

Jodi, How cute the little second graders were with you. I'm sure you were quite a novelty to them,and your so dang cute, too!!!

It's funny to hear about your daily adventures teaching. You're having quite the experience with those 9th graders.

I can't wait to see you for your spring break!!!

Love ya,

Noni