Today one of my most difficult students came up to me, put his arm around me and said, "Miss Meyerson, can I get your number."
"Ummm...NO."
"Why? Is it cause I'm young?"
"We're not having this discussion, Jonathan."
"Well, if I wasn't so young, would you give me your number?"
"We're not having this discussion, Jonathan."
"Yes. We are. I'm talking and it takes two to have a discussion."
"Sit down, Jonathan."
Everyone was presenting poetry books they wrote today, so I was sitting in one of the seats in the back and Jonathan came back and sat in the seat next to me. To be honest, I didn't even care though. He's my ADHD child, so it was kind of nice to be able to keep him quiet and still. Oh the hormones of high school boys.
As I said above, they had to make poetry books over Spring Break. Some of the poems were SERIOUSLY explicit. Others caused me to refer a girl to counseling, because they talked about suicide and cutting. But some of the poems are REALLY good, so I'm going to put a few in here...just read what you want!
Memoirs of Young Adulthood
I'm the boy saying "Father, I have sinned."
I am the girl lying in bed chagrined.
I'm the refugee hiding from the war.
I'm the someone everyone calls a whore.
I'm the guy in love with the quarterback.
I'm the prom king who's secretly on crack.
I'm the good girl who's peeing on a stick
who sees the pink plus sign and becomes sick.
I'm the girl whose ribs you can count like change.
I'm the boy whose voice just sounds so strange.
I'm the girl with the dark eye make-up on
staying up thinking until around dawn.
On the surface we're all just kings and queens,
But underneath it all we're simply teens.
Being Sick on Spring Break
I reach out for a nearby tissue,
My head all full of snot.
This used to not be such an issue,
But there was a bug I caught.
My brain is throbbing horribly,
My nose is clogged up, too.
My nose itches deplorably,
I sneezed over my shoes.
My throat burns like a microwave,
And coughing, I can't stop.
Maybe I've just been sleep depraved,
Or ate some rotten slop.
But despite this nasty shtick,
There's no denying that I'm sick.
Ten Years Before
Do you remember our elementary eyes?
I remember, those eyes were big and keen
Relive high school where we would touch the sky
Behind dumpsters where we couldn't be seen
We all knew getting hyper was so last year
Knowing we could now reach a new mellow
We sat around thinkin' we saw all clear
Through small eyes of red and sometimes yellow
Around the same time of kisses and fists
Stayin' up matured to stayin' out
Getting laid and getting high topped all lists
While no one could erase their private doubt
Fifteen years later you're still getting high
Tryin' to reach heaven before you die
Some of them are too long and I don't want to type them, but those are some of my favorites. They're pretty talented kids. I'm going to miss them a lot, but I'm really excited to go home, too. I had so much fun with Ash during Spring Break, so I'm excited to see her this summer. I'm excited to have a car again and to be able to drive anywhere I need to go!!! I'm excited to have home cooked Sunday dinner with family and to be within driving distance to family members. I'm also excited to have a TV again! And to graduate!! And to start my new job! For all of you who haven't heard, I was offered a job!!!! I interviewed with a few places at the teacher fair and then the next few days. Then, the day before I left Utah, the director of a brand new charter school in Springville called and said that they had two English openings and they'd narrowed it down to three people. He said he'd do a phone interview if I couldn't make it before I had to leave, but I said I'd meet him, because I wanted to make a good impression!! So, he interviewed me and offered me a job, because he said all of my references gave great recommendations and I seemed like the best applicant! He said he'd give me the upper grades, because he thinks I'm the most qualified! Ahhh! So, I still have a few more things to research, but I think I'm going to take it! Next year, I'll be teaching 11th and 12th graders!! CRAZY!
I wore my turquoise shirt and jewelery today to school for National CDH Awareness Day. My classes asked me about it and some of my students had heard of it and they all wanted to hear more about it--though they may have just been avoiding my lesson. :) I hope everyone had a lovely Easter.--And Happy Birthday, Meagan!

On Saturday, we went to the Cherry Blossom Festival at the National Mall. It's pretty cool...kinda weird how into it people are.

Saturday was also the one day a year that you can fly kites on the National Mall. These are some sweet pirate ship kites.

Kami, Jess, and me

Kites in front of the Washington Monument

Millions and millions of kites

This is mom and dad's new puppy, Tobias aka Toby.

Ash Pash on Easter

I made her be a model so her mom and dad could have some good Easter shots

This is from two weeks ago when we went to Jersey to see Trav, Jenn, and Lex. Man, I have cute nieces.
2 comments:
How adorable is Ashlin, hat and all. Congrats a million times on your job!! Such a big girl now!!
I'm glad things are going well for you!!
You DO have cute nieces! They are almost as cute as my grandkiddos! HA!
I'm not a huge poetry fan but I thought the poems were excellent! Quite thought provoking.
I can't wait to have you home again and to help you set up your classroom! My daughter, the English Teacher! WOW~
Post a Comment