Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From The Future Mrs. Goodman

That's right, folks. I'm getting hitched! I know, I know. Many of you probably thought I was a lost, head-case of a cause, but thanks to one heck of a man, I'm getting married!

Here's how it all went down...

I'm a shopper. You all know this. I love a good bargain. You all know this, as well. Well, I follow Kate Spade (designer) on twitter (you can judge me for this)...and a couple weeks ago, she tweeted a surprise--75% off for one day only. As soon as I saw that, I told Kawai. Unfortunately, he reminded me that I had made a solemn promise not to do any shopping until Christmas time thanks to an extravagant trip to H&M's flagship store in Vegas. He played to my competitive side and subtly talked me out of buying a beautiful Kate Spade handbag...the kind I've dreamed about since trips to Rices Market, stocked full of fake Kate Spades (If you want, they'll add a little fabric sticker to the front that says Kate Spade. Classy, I know.) Meanwhile, he had already bought one for me and was just silently hoping that he would be successful in talking me out of it. Thankfully, he was!

Okay, fast-forward a week or so. Kawai asked to take me out to dinner on Friday and, of course, I said yes. Well, then Jessica asked if I want to do a triple date with her and Bryant and Mel and a boy she's been dating a bit. I asked Kawai and he seemed down.


I woke up in a GREAT mood. After living in Utah for 7 years and taking trips to NYC or Vegas to go H&M shopping, H&M finally opened its doors in Utah. Fridays are half-days, so at 1:45 prompt, I booked it out the door. I waited in line for about 20 minutes, made it into the store and got a few great deals. Then I got a smoothie with my mom and talked with her and some best friends, then headed home to get ready for the triple date. I was hyper. I was happy. I called Kawai who said that he'd be up to my place around 5:30 so we could hang out before we went out to dinner. We got back to the apartment and Mel suddenly had to leave to help a teacher at her school. I was surprised because I thought she'd want to get ready for her date, but she's kind of a push-over, so I wasn't TOO surprised. :) I had the flash in my brain, "What if Kawai is proposing tonight. No, no...he definitely isn't. I can't get my hopes up." But by that time, my hopes were up...but in the "There's no way in heck he'd ever be proposing tonight so I've got to stop thinking like this" kind of way.

He came over and was super cute. I complimented his sweater which he told me was the one he wore on our first date. He got up to get water. I got up and went to do my laundry. Then I heard,
"Can you come out here for a second?"
Weird request. Uh oh. Was I not crazy? Is he going to do it?
Kawai: "I have something to give you. I wanted to wait, but I can't."
Me: "Ohhh like a present?" Don't get your hopes up. Don't get your hopes up.
Kawai: "Kind of."

He then whipped out the beautiful Kate Spade bag. I was so excited, but also a bit let down. (Totally his plan all along). I was really grateful though, because who the heck has a boyfriend who gives her designer bags for no reason. I kept saying,

"You're too good to me! You give me too many presents for no reason."
Kawai: "It's not for no reason."
Me: "Yes, it is. You keep giving me such sweet presents for no reason!"
Kawai: " It's not for no reason. You know why, don't you?"
Me: "Because you love me?"
Kawai: "A lot. I want to make you happy. I'll do whatever I can do make you happy for the rest of your life. Jodi, there's something else..."

Insert my heart beating about a million beats a second. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I looked over and Kawai was on one knee. He took out a ring box from his pocket and opened it up and said,

"Jodi, will you marry me?"
I immediately started crying but was able to squeak out a "YES!" before I fell on my knees and hugged him while crying for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, he took the ring (which I had yet to even see. Seriously. In my memory, the box he proposed with was empty.) and slipped it in on my finger. The ring is AMAZING. He got it custom designed off of a tiffany ring using diamonds from one of his mom's rings that she so generously was willing to give. It's a little vintage. A lot sparkly and just exactly perfect.

And just like that, I promised the most amazing, thoughtful, loving, and smokin' hot man that I'd love him for the rest of eternity. And I've never known anything more in my whole life. I will love him forever. It's a fact.

Afterward, we stopped at mom and dad's. Mom took about 10 minutes to notice the sparkly ring I was flashing around her face. Dad noticed right away (although, he knew it was coming sometime soon since Kawai had driven up to ask his permission. Dreamboat, I know.) Then we went to this beautiful restaurant up the canyon. Charming piano player. Candlelit table. Snow on the balcony outside the window. Basically, the kind of place they eat romantic dinners at in movies but that you think don't really exist.

It was simple. It was personal. It was exactly how I'd want to be proposed to. And it was with a guy who is more than I ever could have asked for. Seriously, if I had a list from junior high of all of my qualifications for a man, he'd have them all plus about 20 more that I didn't even know were possible. He treats me like a princess. He is patient and kind and loving to everyone he cares about, not just me. He is a perfect gentleman and makes me laugh ALL. THE. TIME. We watch zombie movies together. We talk about euthanizing all of the stupid drivers together. We make plans to travel the world together. And that boy put up with one heck of a journey with this girl who fought him every step of the way before I was willing to let my walls down and realize that I could never find a better husband in all the world if I searched for a lifetime.

And with that sappy entry, I've made up for all of my years of cynicism. You're welcome. Or I'm sorry.

I'll post more pictures soon!

3 comments:

Bonnie and Mike Meyerson said...

Ok, so this made me cry...and I'm at work. Jodi and Kawai, I can see how much you two love each other and it warms my heart. I am so grateful to be sharing this fairytale with you and look forward to each opinion asked, each errand that needs to be run and each detail that I am involved in. I love both of you. Kawai, thank you for loving my daughter and for promising to take good care of her because she is a treasure!

Mary said...

A treasure or a terror, Mama Meyerson? Haha. This made me cry! I'm so excited. I'm working on moving to Utah for the next 6 months so I don't miss a thing!

Bonnie and Mike Meyerson said...

Come on out Mary! You know you are ALWAYS welcome!