Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh the joys of teaching 16 year olds...

This is a brainstorm/rough draft that one of my students turned in today for an essay comparing the dreams/obstacles of Anne Frank, the family from "A Raisin in the Sun" and for themselves. Pay particular attention to the end of his rough draft--the section that I've put in blue. Apparently, another student had typed it and Carver forgot to erase it before turning it in. Wow...just wow.

Carver Davis

Ms. Meyerson

Language Arts 10

October 20, 2008

What is the character’s life dream?

Anne wanted to be a writer.

Lena Younger wanted to go to college and be a doctor.

My dream is to play in the NFL and use my money to feed starving people in Africa

What obstacles prevent that dream from occurring?

She was a very young girl that doesn’t have much faith in herself, and her family doesn’t believe in her either. She was also a jew in hiding.

She doesn’t have enough money for college, and she doesn’t have the support of her family.

I’m on a not very good football team so I have low chances of playing college football.

How are these obstacles overcome?

After the war, even though she died she was still able to become a writer because her father published her diary.

Miss. Meyerson is a foxy lady.i dig her like a grave

We somehow kick butt and do good in the playoffs my varsity year.


2 comments:

Bonnie and Mike Meyerson said...

Thanks for sharing, Jo...it made me smile.

the meyersons said...

Ummmmmmmmm....I dig her like a grave too. Foxy is a good adjective. See how I use those big words.